Thursday 3 May 2012

Seven (plus two) secrets to a happy life


In the last SpeedBlog, I referred to a wise woman’s advice to me. That wise woman has now agreed to share with us all her seven (plus two) secrets to a happy, fulfilled life. She is now 69 and runs three miles a day.*
I made this list when I was 37. It’s what I would have done differently if I could go back and start over. Of course, one can STILL do everything on the list at any point.

1)TAKE CARE OF HEALTH
No smoking
Eat well
Maintain a good weight
Exercise

2) BE A HOMEMAKER AT EVERY PERIOD OF LIFE
Don't say, "Oh, I don't own it/I'm only renting/I won't be here long/This isn't the apartment, room or house I want/I'm unhappy here/I'm going to move soon/I'm getting divorced.” etc

3) PURSUE HOBBIES AND INTERESTS IN AN ORGANISED FASHION
Otherwise you love to read, but years pass and you haven't read a book; you love the theatre, but years pass and you realise you haven't seen a play in three years; you want to learn to cook kebabs, but years pass etc!

4) ENJOY EACH STAGE OF LIFE
I remember being unhappily married and going to a grocery store one Saturday night and seeing two young women together in animated conversation- and remembering that when I was young and single and going out with a friend on a Saturday night, I didn't appreciate how much fun it was! Each stage and condition has its own pleasures.

5) GET A PROFESSION OR A TRADE
If you don't know what you want to do, become a lab technician or go to secretarial school, or get a bartending license, a certificate to teach English as a foreign language - something- then when you decide what you want to do you will be able to pay for it.

6)  ENJOY THE CHILDREN EVEN MORE
No matter how much you enjoy them, enjoy them more!

7) MOST RELATIONSHIPS ARE RECREATIONAL IN NATURE
Don't turn every little affair into a major romance complete with heartbreak etc. Men seem to know this instinctively, but we women just don't get it. It's only serious when it's serious.

In old age I’ve added two more:
8) TAKE CARE OF MONEY

9) MASTER TECHNOLOGY
It really is worth it to spend an hour reading the booklet when you get something new - a phone, a toaster, oven etc.
*Editor's note: The woman who gave me this advice insists they are NOT secrets to a happy life - for who knows that? (in fact her actual words were 'What kind of person would have the nerve to claim they know the secrets to a happy life?) - they are merely things she would have done differently and can still do. Sorry, dear friend, for both naming you and misquoting you!

7 comments:

  1. I suspect there's a couple more handy tips a "life" unfold.Nice to see the same resound with us folk too ;0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love her number 7! Must follow her advice on that one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I love it, too. I've never forgotten it since she told me. I'm so pleased she agreed to share it. I'm going to make sure I read it every year.

    And, Jack - I mean, Anonymous, yes I think they're tips for us all. But don't tell the other men, we now know about Number 7! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this is a great list. Mastering technology is good advice. So is No. 2 (home making in any place) and No. 3 (be diligent about your hobbies). And No. 5 is just spot on (get a trade or a profession)...even if it's not your dream job. Look forward to Anita's next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally love this one too! Wisdom of a 37 year old is not so far away from that of a 70 year old...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing I disagree with there- sound advice for all ages. Many of these boil down to the deceptively simple "live in the moment" ideals. But little in life is quite that simple, because living in the moment for yourself might not be appropriate for a partner or child. As a 65 year old, I would stress making time for yourself- I have not pursued in an organised way my interests or hobbies. I have much work to do in the mastery of technology. I do count myself happy in that I have good health, and importantly, some one to share life's pleasures and insults with( these are my top picks for achieving happiness). My current focus is- if it seems a good idea and it is possible-do it now.

    ReplyDelete

NuffnangX