Tuesday 29 November 2011

I'm not a feminist but....I'm annoying


By Wendy Saunt

“I’m not a feminist but…” has to be one of the most annoying sentences a woman can utter.
I’ll spare the rant for another time but I’d imagine it’s something along the lines of: “Fine. If you just want to hand back the right to vote, have an education, have a job, legalised abortion, maternity pay, to own property, to not be considered property of your husband, to have custody rights to your children, and to have rape, with varying degrees of success, treated as a crime and your pay, with varying degrees of success, legislated to be equal … then you are free to fuck off back to the 13th century.”

So, within that context, “I'm not a feminist because I’m a man” is a significantly less annoying sentence. But, let’s face it, it’s still a bit annoying… namely because it bundles up all the above as wimmin’s issues, rather than anything to do with universal rights or wrongs….

… Like civil rights or gay issues. Obviously, there are no handy labels there but I’d feel a bit crass for distancing myself from them – even if it was just semantically – because I’m white and straight.
It comes down to this: these are universal things, they affect us all (even if it’s not directly), and it’s nice to stand up for what’s important. So, say it loud and say it proud: I’m a man and a feminist.

Wendy Saunt is a interior designer, writer and art consultant. She lives in London. You can follow her on Twitter @Wendy__Saunt

No comments:

Post a Comment

NuffnangX