Saturday 31 March 2012

Could life get any better? asks Gabrielle Jackson


by Gabrielle Jackson

I’ve been hanging out with two gorgeous German girls in India. They’re 25. They were genuinely shocked when they discovered I was 10 years older than them and it became quite a topic of conversation for us. I said I was happy to be 35; that I liked getting older. Why?, they asked, with real curiosity.
I’m glad I went to a lot of parties when I was in my 20s and stayed out till dawn a few too many times, but I’m really happy I’m not still doing it in my 30s, I said, by way of explanation. It’s not that life gets easier, per se, it’s just that it gets easier to be you. To feel comfortable. To know what to do. And the fun doesn’t stop, not when you’re enjoying life because you like who you are and where you’re at. Hell, I’ve taken a year off to eat kebabs: could there be a better stage of life?
And when I look at my mum, in her 60s and still squeezing life for every bit of joy there is, I feel sure that life just gets better and better…forever. 
Gabrielle Jackson is publisher of this blog and is on a KebabQuest. You can follow her on Twitter @gabriellecj
Published as part of Not The Style Pages' SpeedBlog series.

1 comment:

  1. It took me till well into my twenties to realise that I may as well give up trying to be someone different, and to accept myself with all my limitations and perceived deficiencies. Coming to terms with yourself and being able to acknowledge your good points as honestly as the bad points, and being comfortable to coexist with both is quite liberating. As you age,(and you have far to go there) you grow to be more like yourself- you live in your own skin, you care less about status or trying to impress others, and you don't deny your own personality. It is probably one of the few true compensations for age that life offers- alongside a hard won sense of perspective and the ability to not take yourself too seriously. Enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete

NuffnangX