Tuesday 18 October 2011

Sarah Farraway - Love is not a feeling...

Two thoughts for Owen (and anyone else out there interested):

(1) Platonic love is just as important and, frankly, often a lot better than romantic love. Love your friends as much as your lovers (and maybe a bit more as they will probably last longer) and I guarantee you will have a rich, interesting and lovely life.

(2) As for romantic love, I was struggling with how to say what I wanted to say and then I went to a wedding on the weekend. The priest who performed the ceremony summed it up for me. He said: "Love is not a feeling, it's a decision."

As unromantic as that may sound, it's the big difference between my understanding of love when I was younger and now. As I get older, and my relationships last longer, I have realised that deciding to love and deciding to be loved is the secret. It's something you do with your head, not your heart. But you can't just love anyone!  So when you're ready to settle down (which I hope is a long way off Owen) pick someone you have lots of feelings for and then just decide to love them rain, hail or shine.

Good luck.

Sarah

Sarah is studying psychology, works in HR and lives in Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NuffnangX